Thursday, February 6, 2014

Post 2- imagination and mindfulness

Sociology has opened my eyes in an entirely different way. This week Sal was talking about sociological imagination. I think social imagination is having the ability to connect where we live and how our surroundings shape us. Our first homework assignment was a reading called The Outliers. It was about this town called Roseto where heart disease was almost non existent in people under 60. These people of Roseto did not have amazing health or anything, but they were active in their community and were always surrounded by their people. They just live a much different life than we would typically today.

Sociological mindfulness is similar to sociological imagination. Sociological mindfulness is being aware of the changes in how we interact. Another part of sociological mindfulness is understanding that we can make an impact in the world even though it may be a small notion. Sometimes we may judge people for doing the things they do, but we never really stop and think about WHY they chose to do things the way they did. Maybe if we were more mindful of their situations then it would help us to easier understand other people's decisions.

In class the example of a baseball coach spitting, is sociological mindfulness. If the coach is spitting at practice or during games, it is seen as completely normal in the setting. But if I was spitting in class, it would be looked at as extremely abnormal.

In my own experience, I wear a sports bra and pajama pants to bed every night. If I were to show up to an event or school I would get judged and people would think things about me. But since I only wear it to bed then it's normal for me to wear that sort of outfit.  Another example could be when I wear my soccer uniform to a game it's normal, but if I wore it as a cute outfit to school people would think I am the weirdest person ever!

I think this class is really cool and helps put a lot of things into perspective for me. I've learned a lot and I am interested to know more!

1 comment:

  1. I think the different clothes we wear is a great example of how there is different standard for different places, I hadn't thought about that!

    ReplyDelete