Thursday, May 1, 2014

LGBT


When I was younger I always thought simply. A guy is a guy and a girl is a girl..that's it. But I never understood the way others live so deeply until we had class discussions and my peers spoke to our classroom. We have been discussing the LGBT community and I have learned so much.

The LGBT panel that came and talked to my class really showed me to the extent of how different everyone really is, and every one has different sexualities. I realized that people judge them daily.. and I also realized that there is no point for people to judge them. Just because they are 'different' than the way society wants them to be, does not mean their gender or sexuality defines who they truly are! For many people it is so hard to except homosexuality in the world, and coming from a religion that is against it, it can be confusing for me at times too.
But at the end of the day, if they are happy with who they are and are living a blissful life, I will support the person for everything they are and more.

For my junior research paper I chose to focus on Mass Media and the Affect it has on Women. Sociology focuses on this topic in a great way and the videos we watched on body image spoke to me. As a 18 year old girl, headed off to California in a month, I find myself constantly being insecure and caring about how skinny I am, what I am wearing, and sometimes being overly self-conscious. But I blame it all on society. And the media. They have transformed our innocent brains into self-obsessed image hungry human beings. It's sad, because I find myself being so hard on myself. I would never treat a friend the way I treat my body, so why do I continue to live this certain way? It's almost impossible to avoid nowadays, but learning about this stuff in class really helped me focus in on what is truly important in life.  

It is 2014 people! Wake up! We all must accept one another and love who we are for all that we are, and for all that we are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment